Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy 2011! We're all doomed.


It might have escaped your immediate attention. But it appears that animals around the globe are flinging themselves to their deaths.

Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Sure, those of you who challenge my assertion that my cat is secretly trying to kill me might have cause to disagree, but you're probably in on it too. Why else would he look at me like that?

Anyway, is anyone else a bit.. worried? about the fact that birds appear to be randomly falling from the sky and fish are dying in their millions in various parts of the world? It sounds like a plot from a horrible end-of-world movie. Or a pretty convincing documentary set in early 2011.


Funny how the title in Yahoo! (yes, the exclamation mark is important)'s article uses the phrase "stokes curiosity". It suggests that scientists are just merely finding this mass die-off phenomenon vaguely interesting rather than bloody terrifying.

So, what are your best theories?

5 comments:

Allison said...

Thanks for the doom and gloom post Rob! I'm going to go fling myself off a bridge now.

Sarah said...

Don't forget the bees! Clearly Douglas Coupland has a crystal ball. Seriously. Read Generation A.

Allison said...

The Coupland book is a must read. He actually got the idea because he heard that bees were disappearing and it freaked him out and made him imagine a world without bees.

TbR said...

Maybe the one at the front had a dodgy sat nav.

I was just about to mention bees when I saw everyone else had beaten me to it. Serves me right for being slow.

Anyway, I do think it's worrying, and my concern isn't helped by receiving an email at work (from a client in Estonia) saying 'PREPARE! The world is going to end!'

That put me in a right bad mood.

Allison said...

I heard the birds died of alcohol poisoning.